Despite our best intentions, we still didn’t manage to put the finishing touches on Evelina’s nursery this weekend so her bunting is still not hanging on the wall as it should be but is currently draped around her cot. At least I get to see it every day and it will be going up soon along with her pictures.
However, I did get something done which takes us a step closer – I made her a lightshade for her ceiling light. She has had a sorry-looking bare bulb for 5 months now because I simply couldn’t find a lightshade that worked with her room. Mamas and Papas have discontinued the range of which her multi-fabric curtains are a part so there was no matching shade there. With Evelina’s bunting and eventual quilt being made of several different fabrics again, I didn’t want to introduce any more patterns lest her nursery become less vintage boho-chic nursery and more hotch with a side of potch.
When I mentioned to lovely Zoe that I thought about making a lightshade (but was unsure how to go about it), she pointed me in the direction of Duffy London’s kits. These were the perfect mix of easy and DIY that meant I would be able to use off-cuts of her bunting/quilt Tilda fabric for the lightshade to tie it in.
So behold the new shade!
The kit includes a rectangle of sticky sided paper to which you can attach whatever you want to decorate your shade. I chose four of the fabrics and then covered each raw join with some ribbon and/ or lace – each join is different. If I were to do this over, I would not make the joins diagonal since this does not match the join where the two ends of the paper meet and this looks a little odd but hey, I still love it and I am just glad it is made. It only took me half an hour to do in the end so I don’t know whhy it took me so long.
The instructions were easy and the parts all fit together well/ My only gripe is that the double sided sticky tape they provide to make the tube is not strong enough and although it says it will attach most fabrics (you would think cotton would fit within this!), it has now popped open. I use really strong double-sided tape to attach the EVELINA letters to her door, so I will get some more of this and use this instead.
I also changed the mobile above her cot, swapping the mobile part for the gorgeous one made by Cie. I was wondering how I could hang it so should could enjoy it properly, and realised that I just had to hang it on the stand for the one we already had:
So whilst we are not quite done, I am really pleased with how the nursery is coming along…